Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home - Landmark Registry

Landmark Registry

Search By Name

Search By Category

Search By Municipality

Acheson, Edward G. House

No Image Available

From 1890-95 this was home to Edward Goodrich Acheson, who at the age of 17 became the holder of a rock boring machine patent. He was born in Washingt...

Administration Building, Washington & Jefferson College

No Image Available

The original center of the Administration Building was constructed in 1793 to house the Washington Academy. Four-bay brick wings and a Tucsan columne...

Bailey Covered Bridge

No Image Available

This Burr truss covered bridge built in 1889 measures 66' x 15'. It was burned in an act of arson July 1994, and later reconstructed....

BeallsvilleHistoric District

No Image Available

Its primary importance for listing is as a "pike town" along the Old National Road, with its period of significance from 1818 to 1852. Pike-era buildi...

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church

No Image Available

Bethel AME Church's congregation was established in 1833 as a religious, educational and social center for the early black community. The present red ...

Bradford House

Bradford House

This dressed stone four-bay two-story building on Washington's Main Street, was built by successful attorney and businessman David Bradford. The resid...

Brownlee, Samuel T. House

Brownlee, Samuel T. House

This five-bay, two-and-a-half story brick house is graced with a full first-floor Greek Revival porch supported by Ionic pillars. The center entry has...

Brownlee, Scott Covered Bridge

No Image Available

One of eight Kingpost truss covered bridges, it measures 31.6' x 11'7....

Brownsville Bridge

No Image Available

This Pennsylvania (Petit) truss 519-foot single-span bridge was built in 1914 by Fort Pitt Bridge Works to span the Monongahela River....

Caldwell Tavern

No Image Available

This c. 1840 two-and-a-half story, five bay brick house, when originally built faced the National Road, but during the early part of the 20th century,...

Canonsburg Armory

No Image Available

This one-story Colonial Revival steel and brick structure was built in 1938 for the 108th Hospital, 103rd Medical Regiment of the Pennsylvania Nationa...

Cement City Historic District

No Image Available

This is a highly intact neighborhood composed of 100 poured-in-place concrete units in 84 buildings built in 1916-17 for middle management at the Dono...

Centerville Historic District

No Image Available

Centerville's era of significance is during its service to travelers along the National Road in the first half of the 19th century and continuing unti...

Charleroi-Monessen Bridge

No Image Available

The Charleroi-Monessen Bridge was built in 1909 to span the Monongahela River between Washington and Westmoreland counties. It is Pennsylvania (Petit)...

Crawford Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Using the more common Queenpost truss design, this bridge measures 39' x 11'7...

Dager Wonsettler Farmstead

No Image Available

This farmstead is comprised of a c. 1855 five-bay brick house, a c. 1820 log house and other support buildings, including a c. 1880 Pennsylvania bank ...

Danley Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Another Queenpost truss, this bridge measures 39' x 11'7....

Davis/Davis Horn/Overholtzer Covered Bridge

No Image Available

One of two Burr truss covered bridges in Washington County, it was built in 1889 at 96' x 14'3, and collapsed into the creek March 20, 1994....

Day Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost truss bridge built in 1875 at a measurement of 36'6 x 12'....

Derrow, Margaret House

Derrow, Margaret House

A modest Gothic cottage built along the National Road, this frame structure is a two-story L-shaped four-bay house. It is framed under a steep roof br...

Doak/Little House

No Image Available

The two-and-a-half story, five-bay brick house was built c. 1850 along the National Road. It has a kitchen ell to its rear. The house displays Greek R...

Dorsey House

Dorsey House

One of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in Washington County, the stone house was built c. 1787 by Joseph and Amelia Dorsey. High on a hil...

Dusmal House

Dusmal House

The side hall entry, three-bay, two-and-a-half story random course stone house was built in 1839. It has a single-story rear wing that probably housed...

East Washington Historic District

East Washington Historic District

East Washington's grand Victorian homes were built primarily from the riches of oil and gas wells in the late 19th century. Its concentration of Queen...

Ebenezer Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Moved in 1977 from west of Ginger Hill crossing South Fork of Maple Creek, this bridge is a Queenpost truss measuring 32' x 15'....

Erskine Covered Bridge

Erskine Covered Bridge

This Queenpost truss bridge built in 1845 is thought to be the oldest in Washington County and measures 39'6 x 11'8. [p. 158 POP]...

Fleming, Molly House

No Image Available

Built in 1912 for Molly Williams Fleming as a one-and-a-half story bungalow with Craftsman and Colonial Revival details. It has a dormered pyramidal r...

Friend, Phillip House

Friend, Phillip House

"Stonehill Farm" was settled by Philip Friend (Freund(en)) of Dutch Glory settlement connection. The Federal style central passage rough-cut stone hou...

Harrison House

Harrison House

The Joseph Harrison house was originally built in 1845 as a five-bay, two-and-half-story brick, Post Colonial house with Greek Revival elements. Over ...

Hawthorne School

No Image Available

One of three elementary schools designed by Canonsburg architect George Brugger, Hawthorne School in its Tudor Revival style, was the more refined of ...

Henry Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Built in 1881, this Queenpost truss bridge measures 36' x 11'8....

Hill's Tavern

Hill's Tavern

Originally known as Hill's Tavern, the Century Inn is the oldest tavern in continuous use on the National Road. It was built in 1794 by Stephen and Th...

Huffman Distillery & Chopping Mill

Huffman Distillery & Chopping Mill

Located on the historic Huffman farm in Somerset Township, the log structure which houses the c. 1790 distillery and the 1805 square timber framed ch...

Jackson's Mill Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost truss bridge measuring 35' x 14'....

Jennings-Gallagher House

No Image Available

The two-and-a half-story brick house was built in 1903 by Jonathan Winnett Jennings. It is nearly square with a three-bay facade and cross gable hip r...

Kinder's Mill

Kinder's Mill

This three-story fieldstone building was constructed on Plum Run as a grist mill on land owned by George Kinder, a Dutch immigrant who moved in 1782 f...

Krepps Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A 24' x 13'3 Kingpost truss covered bridge....

LeMoyne Crematory

LeMoyne Crematory

A 20' x 30' one-story, three-bay brick building, the crematory is the first such installation in the United States. It was built in 1876 by Dr. F. Jul...

LeMoyne, F. Julius House

LeMoyne, F. Julius House

Built in 1812, this three-story stone house was constructed for Dr. John Julius LeMoyne and his son Dr. Francis Julius LeMoyne, both medical doctors, ...

Letherman (Leatherman) Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost truss covered bridge measuring 36' x 12'....

Little, Moses Tavern

Little, Moses Tavern

This two-and-a-half story brick house was built in two stages, with the original three bay built in 1840 and a four-bay addition c. 1845. The first se...

Longdon L. Miller Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Believed to be the longest in Washington County, this Queenpost truss bridge measures 67'7 x 11'10....

Longwell House

No Image Available

An 1872 John Blythe designed two-story, five-bay brick, the David Longwell house has distinctive Italianate styling. The house, which is enclosed by a...

Lyle Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost truss bridge measuring 39' x 12'...

Malden Inn

Malden Inn

Located west of West Brownsville, the Malden Inn served as a tavern and inn along the National Road. The massive home was constructed of cut stone lai...

Manchester, Isaac House

Manchester, Isaac House

This grand two-and-a-half story five-bay brick was built in 1815 by Isaac Manchester of Newport, Rhode Island, upbringing. Located in Independence Tow...

Marianna Historic District

No Image Available

Marianna's historic district is part of a very extensive commercial coal plant development built by Pittsburgh-Buffalo Company between 1906 and 1912. ...

Martin Farmstead

Martin Farmstead

This is a c. 1860 frame two-story, five-bay house with central hall. It has decorative window lintels and a double door with transom and the standing ...

Martin's Mill Covered Bridge

No Image Available

While its stone wingwalls are visible in the brush, this covered bridge has disappeared....

Maurer, Dr. Joseph House

No Image Available

Mays/Mays Blaney/Blaney Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost covered bridge measuring 31'6 x 11'10....

McClurg/Devil's Den Covered Bridge

No Image Available

In 1987 this Kingpost truss covered bridge was moved from north of Paris, crossing King's Creek, into Hanover Park near SR 4004 over a ravine. It mea...

Meadowcroft Rock Shelter

No Image Available

Munce, Thomas House

No Image Available

Nelson, John H. House

No Image Available

Old Main, California State College

No Image Available

Old Main was constructed during 1868-70 to serve as the administration building for Southwestern Normal College (later California State College). The ...

Parkinson, Robert Farm

No Image Available

Pennsylvania Railroad Freight Station

No Image Available

The brick train station located off West Chestnut Street, below Washington's main post office, served the Chartiers Valley line of the Pennsylvania Ra...

Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Station

No Image Available

This station was built c. 1910-12 to replace a former wooden structure from the late 1880s. The one-story red brick building measures 95' x 35' and ha...

Pine Bank Covered Bridge

No Image Available

An 1870 Kingpost truss covered bridge measuring 30'6 x 15' that was moved in 1962 from Gilmore Township in Greene County to Meadowcroft Village in Was...

Plant's Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Kingpost truss covered bridge measuring 24'6 x 12'10....

Primrose Hill Plantation

Primrose Hill Plantation

Located in Robinson Township, this historic property consists of several buildings, including a log barn, situated on five acres, and was listed as th...

Ralston Freeman Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Located on private property, this 28' x 12' Kingpost truss covered bridge was built in 1915....

Ringland Tavern

No Image Available

Ross, Frank L. Farm

No Image Available

S Bridge

No Image Available

Built in 1818 and so named because of its serpentine shape in zigzagging over Buffalo Creek. This stone arch, multispan bridge carried wagons and coac...

Sackville House

No Image Available

Sawhill Covered Bridge

No Image Available

Built in 1913, this covered bridge is a Queenpost truss measuring 49' x 12'6....

Scenery Hill Historic District

Scenery Hill Historic District

A "pike town" located along the the National Road, Scenery Hill lies slightly northwest of Beallsville. Its historic district encompasses multiple pro...

Sprowls Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Kingpost truss covered bridge measuring 36' x 12'7 built in 1875....

Taylorstown Historic District

Taylorstown Historic District

Taylorstown is a rural village in western Washington County that retains its original size and scale as set forth in its 1795 town plan. The historic ...

Thome, James Farm

No Image Available

Washington Armory

No Image Available

Washington County Courthouse

Washington County Courthouse

Fourth of the county's courthouses, the 1899-1890 courthouse was designed in the Beaux Arts classical style by Pittsburgh architect F. J. Osterling. B...

Washington County Jail

No Image Available

Built at the time of the courthouse construction by Miller Miller & Sons of Pittsburgh, the jail following the Romanesque design of architect F.J. Ost...

Webster-Donora Bridge

No Image Available

This bridge spanning the Monongahela River between Donora in Washington County and Webster in Westmoreland County was built in 1908 by Sophias Constru...

West Alexander Historic District

West Alexander Historic District

West Alexander's historic district contains structures dating from 1790 to 1880 facing Main Street, with a few on adjacent side streets and alleys. Th...

West Middletown Historic District

West Middletown Historic District

Records indicate West Middletown began to develop as a commerical community in the mid-1790s. Equally distanced a day's journey by horse and buggy fro...

White, John House

No Image Available

Located on the Washington County fairgrounds...

Wilson's Mill Covered Bridge

No Image Available

This 1889 Queenpost truss bridge, measuring 35' x 13', was moved in 1978 to Cross Creek County Park, between Cross Creek and Hopewell townships....

Wright/Cerl Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Kingpost truss covered bridge measuring 26' x 13'4....

Wyit Sprowls Covered Bridge

No Image Available

A Queenpost truss covered bridge measuring 43' x 11'6....

© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys