Category: Public Landmark
Location: Hawthorne and Bluff Streets
One of three elementary schools designed by Canonsburg architect George Brugger, Hawthorne School in its Tudor Revival style, was the more refined of the three. Built in 1927-29, its mass and high slate roof gave it a scale the other buildings lacked in their utilitarian design. An imposing chimney on the facade is flanked by windows on either side of both floors and rises the height of the roof as a decorative front. The pressed brickschool building combined innovative interior space with a tradition exterior. The interior has a first floor multipurpose room topped by classrooms on the second floor, resulting in an impressive exterior look and progressive interior function. The pressed brick school is a successful example of the area's transition from centralized to ward schools.