Pennsylvania Railroad Freight Station
Category: Public Landmark
Location: 111 Washington Street
The brick train station located off West Chestnut Street, below Washington's main post office, served the Chartiers Valley line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It brought both passengers and freight to the Washington area. The first train ran over the line in 1871 and the last passenger run was in 1952. These former tracks also served the Waynesburg and Washington Railroad and were instrumental in moving coal from local mines. The single-story building measures 180' x 40' and was constructed in 1871 and is represents the late Victorian period. This station now houses professional and commercial enterprises.