Category: Historic District
Location: National Road, from Oak Alley to West Alley and Sunset Drive to Sargent Alley
Its primary importance for listing is as a "pike town" along the Old National Road, with its period of significance from 1818 to 1852. Pike-era buildings are supplemented on one end of the district by a 15-acre cemetery that contains headstones representing 190 years of burials. Queen Anne style homes and Craftsman bungalows of later eras are interspersed throughout town. The district's oldest building is a c. 1788 log building just north of the National Road, that was home of the town founder Zephaniah Beall. At the heart of the district are two early 19th century buildings, the Greenfield Tavern, built in 1821 and later expanded into the National Hotel and the c. 1830 Miller Tavern at the northwest corner of Maiden Street and the National Road. Other buildings of significance include the Hough House on the side side that once housed the town's tollhouse keeper, the 1874 Methodist-Episcopal Church, the c. 1890 frame Presbyterian church and an original cast iron mile marker. An 1895 brick and stone Romanesque Revival school building overlooks the town's earlier development, and later travel-related structures include a 1920s service station with a canopied drive-through and a car dealership and service shop of the same era.