Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home

Landmark Registry

West Alexander Historic District

West Alexander Historic District
Category: Historic District
Location: Main Street, North Liberty to Mechanic Streets

West Alexander's historic district contains structures dating from 1790 to 1880 facing Main Street, with a few on adjacent side streets and alleys. The oldest structure (that survived a devastating 1831 fire), is a frame one-story building with lap siding and 6/6 windows. A row of commercial buildings at the town's center are Italianate vernacular buildings and the surrounding residential sections of Main Street consist of later vernacular houses, with a mix of Greek Revival and Italiante influences. Facing the commercial center is the town cemetery and Greek Revival vernacular church at one side and a Victorian Romanesque church at the other. This cemetery functions as a town square in this small rural village. The town's commercial reputation was enhanced by construction of the National Road and took on significant importance as a stop on the Underground Railroad. It was known as a "gretna green" when hundreds of couples were wed by the town's justices in response to stricter restrictions imposed by surrounding states and governments. [ pp. 186-187 POP]

West Alexander Borough
© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys