Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home

Landmark Registry

West Middletown Historic District

West Middletown Historic District
Category: Historic District
Location: Main Street (Route 844) running east-west

Records indicate West Middletown began to develop as a commerical community in the mid-1790s. Equally distanced a day's journey by horse and buggy from Washington to Wellsburg, W.Va., it was a logical location for tradesmen and professionals. In the historic district, there are 49 buildings, mostly residential, made equally of frame and brick constrcution, with others a combination of log and frame. They are plain and sturdy, built in the vernacular style, mostly detached but with some clusters of row houses. With two front doors, there is indication that these were most probably combination home and business. Commerical enterprises included a general store, tin shop, blacksmith-wagon shop and stable. Building lots are long and narrow, accommodating gardens and outbuildings necessary for a business community. Contributing to its appeal are 19th century details, including wrought iron fences, sandstone curbs, flagstone sidewalks, handcut stone rain gutters and stone upping blocks. The village played an essential and active role in the Underground Railroad. William McKeever and sons Matthew and Thomas were major forces behind the abolitionist movement in Western Pennsylvania, dating to the 1830s. [pp.182-183 POP]

West Middleton Borough
© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys